Founded in 1985 and formally constituted by Charter in 1987, the Coimbra Group is an association of long-established European comprehensive, multidisciplinary research universities of high international standard committed to creating special academic and cultural ties in order to promote, for the benefit of its members, internationalization, academic collaboration, excellence in learning and research, and service to society. It is also the purpose of the Coimbra Group to influence European education and research policy and to develop best practice through the mutual exchange of experience.
In pursuit of its Mission, the Coimbra Group aims to:
1. Facilitate all forms of interchange, especially academic, cultural, social and sporting, and knowledge transfer among its member universities, their students and staff, with a view to ensuring full advantage is taken of the added value brought about by network cooperation.
2. Act as a driving force in the development of the European Higher Education and European Research Areas (EHEA and ERA) and promote the academic expertise of its members within this area.
3. Contribute to the debate on higher education in Europe and, where appropriate, influence European policy.
4. Promote the Group worldwide as a reference of academic excellence in Europe, with a view to attracting students to the member universities and to encouraging academic cooperation and interchange between the members and institutions from around the world.
5. Act as an expert body, able to advise its members and other institutions (including the European Commission and its agencies) on matters relating to higher education.
6. Promote the role of comprehensive multidisciplinary research universities in today’s changing global scene.
7. Promote academic and cultural heritage in higher education in the 21st century.
8. Promote the role of universities in service to society at different levels, especially their impact on local, regional and global development.
9. Promote the importance of research integrity in scientific practice.
10. Ensure that adequate attention is paid to and full advantage taken of gender diversity and that equal opportunities exist.Back to top